Coding with Scratch - Beginner Games
This is for beginner coding using Scratch (scratch.mit.edu). This 4 week online class will show kids how to use Scratch and get up and coding quickly!
Class size is limited to 3 students per class so we can make the most of our time and still get individualized instruction. If there are fewer than 2 students signed up for a class, you may be asked to combine with a different class.
Recommended for 4th - 8th grade, but contact us if you have questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We'll meet twice a week via video chat for 30-minutes each session plus the instructor will be available via email or chat to help with any questions. Times are all Central Time Zone.
We offer an Intermediate and Advanced coding for Scratch courses that follow on the same pattern as the beginner classes.
- Access to the internet
- Access to computer or tablet that can use a web browser
- Email address for contact
We'll start with basic guidelines for how to code and some best practices and then jump straight into the fun of creating your own games.
The following outline is the basic guideline of what will be covered:
Lesson 1: Intro to coding
- Safety and Security discussion
- Workflows symbols and use
- Planning your coding to Animate your Sprite
Lesson 2: Intro to Scratch | Animate your Sprite
- Introduction to the different parts of Scratch
- Create first code
Lesson 3: Level I Games | Hungry Cat
- Moving the sprite and adjusting costumes for your character
Lesson 4: Level I Games | Treasure Island
- Customizing backgrounds, sprites, and games
Lesson 5: Level I Games | Amazing Maze
- Customizing movements and constraining to a track
Lesson 6: Level Games | Drive Me Crazy
- Customizing movements and constraining to a track - advanced
Lesson 7: Level I Games | Tunnel of Gold
- Sound effects and timer for game
Lesson 8: Level I Games | Cross the Road
- Broadcasting and repeating patterns
This book is not required, but is the baseline for what we are working out of if you want a reference.
If you have specific requests, please email us at email@example.com